Founder & Maker, Hwasoon
I’m the founder of Morning Calm and also a solo worker for this company. Morning Calm is a grateful window for me that keeps showing the way to open my heart towards beauty and wellness - physically and spiritually.
Starting in my teenage years, I have had very sensitive combination and acne prone skin. My body and skin seem to react a bit more intensely with anything or everything including food, air, emotion, and a hormonal imbalance. So, it was very difficult to find the right skin care products. After a long backpacking trip in 2010, I started to make my own soaps and basic skin care products and shared them with my mom who also has sensitive skin. And magically it became my new work. To handle this delicate apothecary work more carefully, I finished expert courses related to natural cold process soap and natural cosmetics in Korea. Since 2011 winter, I've been with Morning Calm, even after I moved to US in 2013.
I regard skin care as a daily ritual to be a beautiful being and accept myself as who I am with a loving heart. So it is a natural consequence to connect my yoga & meditaion, energy healing study with this lovely apothecary work. Not only I dedicate my life for Morning Calm as an apothecary artisan, I also teach meditation and yoga at YOGA within US.
" I've dreamed of a humble life made with hands, taking care of the things around me and using them honestly. With my products, as in life, I believe what we truly need are a few simple but good things. Nourishing, calming, and beautiful.
One day while I was washing with my cleansing oil and soap, I found myself wishing that my inner impurities could be washed away like the outer ones. Not only all the beautiful natural ingredients, I add this wish into my work. "
Yoga Journey + Life Story
I was born in 1982 in Uljin, the countryside of Korea, where beautiful mountains meet the deep blue Pacific and where a Amethyst crystal mine meets a natural hot spring. I grew up in a home open to Buddhist thought and spirituality with freedom to go to churches on Christmas whenever I wanted to. After 19 years of quiet country life, I moved to a big city to study the philosophy of education and ethics at university. In the winter of 2002, I entered the path of yoga and meditation. While having teaching jobs in Korea, I traveled around Asia and Europe, searching for my veritas. (Mongolia, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Russia, Germany, France, Switzerland, Norway, etc.)
Vipassana Meditation 2002 ~ 2009 in Korea, Thailand, India
I especially appreciated S.N. Goenka's 10-day courses.
- Prana Movement Meditation 運氣 瞑想 2010 ~ 2012 in Korea
- Natural Cold-process Soap for Professionals with Chunbigo Oct. 2010
- Aromatherapy & Natural Skin Care Basic Course with Kyunghee Lee Nov. 2010
- Aromatherapy & Natural Skin Care Expert Course with Kyunghee Lee ~ Jan. 2011
- Hatha Yoga 2002 ~ 2012 in Korea: Sivananda Yoga, Iyengar Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa
Ending the long backpacking travel, I also stopped teaching at schools in 2010 and started my own business, Morning Calm, to share handmade organic skin care products for people who have sensitive skin like me. Through my shop I've had many grateful moments for many years, getting to know beautiful people around the world and also learning some interesting knowledge about essential oils, plant oils, and herbs.
In 2013 I moved to Florida with my husband and the next year had an opportunity to practice Vinyasa Krama yoga, following the Krishnamacharya tradition. Through that yoga style, I glimpsed that hatha yoga and meditation practice are connected, both are the way to Yoga ( योग in Sanskrit, yoga means Union). Around the same time, Paramahansa Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi came into my life, and it led me to practice Kriya Yoga sincerely. In 2015, under Virginia Williamson, Inga Balciuniene, and Giedrė Avellino, I finished a hatha yoga teacher training program.
- Hatha yoga teacher training level 1 & 2 (200hr) + Mentorship program, Aug ~ Dec 2015
- Incident to get to know and become friends with Victor Truviano, Aug 2015
Even though it was not an official educational record, as the moment deeply opened my heart towards the Universe more than anything else, I had to leave a note here.
- The Power of Conscious Touch Workshop with Elysabeth Williamson, Nov 2015
- Trauma Conscious Yoga Teacher Training with Judy Weaver, Jun 2016
- Chakra Rebalancing Energy Sessions with Monika Schuster, Sep 2016 ~
- Kundalini Conscious Meditation Workshop with Nitin Adsul, Oct 2016
Currently, I focus on Meditation more than Hatha yoga (physical practice) and put my attention on energy healing. Thanks to Whisper, a cat who lives in my neighborhood and became friends with me, I've had more of a chance to sit on the ground outside looking at the sky and meditate in nature.
- Animal Communication Workshop with Kathy Zablotzky, Nov 2016
- Reiki Level 1 with Sylvia Carrier, Nov 2016
- Reiki Level 2 with Sylvia Carrier, April 2017
- Reiki, Intuitive Energy Healing Sessions with Kezia Renée Lechner, Jun 2017 ~